Sunday, June 6, 2010

Wally World

I don't think I'm alone in my hate-love relationship with WalMart. I hate them because they're always crowded, there are never parking spots, and it takes forever to check out. I love them because they have the lowest prices on just about everything we buy and we can usually find what we need there.

Like other relationships, you adapt. You go early on Sunday morning so that you can find a parking spot less than half a mile from the entrance -- only 3-4 cars up and two lanes over from the door -- and so that you don't have to wait in line long -- well, not over 5-10 minutes anyway -- and so that you aren't bumped by other people's carts -- although we did have to move out of one lady's way today.

In the same way, we adapt to our personal relationships. He hates the sofa you love, so you buy one both can live with. You know he likes taking photos at the Alligator Farm so you go with him but read all morning at the snack bar. He knows you're dieting so he doesn't complain about not having meat and potatoes. You want pets and he doesn't but he lives with the cats anyway.

A lot of give and take goes on in all relationships. When they balance out, the relationships are usually successful. When one gives but the other takes, they usually aren't.

1 comment:

  1. About Walmart, I would also like to point out that I think it's a requirment to have an ill temperment to work there. Having been in customer service for more than a decade I think Walmart is a great example of what not to do when it comes to customer care.

    As far as your last paragraph, sadly I know what you mean. When you constantly give it eventually drains you until there is nothing left. :-(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!