Friday, June 4, 2010

PD James Book

Prowling through the Village Bookstore the other day, I found an old PD James I hadn't read. I am almost through with it.

Though I like her, it seems to me she's gotten wordy over the years. I'm wondering if this happens when writers become big names. I noticed it with others like Elizabeth George and Anne Rivers Siddons. Their first few books were easy reads but gradually, the books got bigger and bigger. Not plotwise. Wordwise.

It's so hard to find a new author I really like, I hate to give up on the ones I do find but sometimes that's the case.

Maybe it's not the authors. Maybe the editors are overwhelmed and can't edit like they used to. Or maybe the author's allowed more leeway once s/he gets a following. Or maybe there's a demand for that kind of writing.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know what kind of books you like, but I fell in love with Elin Hilderbrand when I first read her book "Barefoot" and then just had to read her other 5 novels. They all take place in Nantucket, third person w/ multiple POVs, and all riddled w/ romance secrets betrayal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that for an author's early books, the book is polished and polished and edited and fixed, so all those readability issues are taken care of. In order to be published, the author does much of the work so that the publishers will read it, and maybe publish it. Then, in later years, the publisher probably sets deadlines for the new works, and the same care doesn't go into the writing. That's my humble take on it. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!