Sunday, October 10, 2010

THE ETRUSCAN CHIMERA

This book by Lyn Hamilton is a nice, well plotted mystery. It gives some background of the Etruscans and talks about some of their art. Her protagonist is an antiques dealer who goes around the world buying antiques. This is the first of the series I've read, but evidently she's in business with her ex-husband and has a new boyfriend. They didn't really come into play in this book so I'm wondering if their presence in others would make the story more engrossing.

I did find my mind wandering with all the place names (the heroine travels through towns in France and Italy -- even one excursion to Ireland -- listing shops and streets and landmarks) and so many people scurrying around. The writing may be a little bland, too. Still, I finished it which I don't always do. So for someone wanting to while away an hour or so, this might be a good choice.

3 comments:

  1. I might like this, like to experience other cultures without having to go there. Interesting concept, staying in biz with an ex. Sure it happens often. Maybe children aren't the only tie that binds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I might like to read this book.
    Thanks for enlightening me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I plan on trying another in the series, an earlier one - when I get through with the three books I have waiting now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!