Sunday, March 18, 2012

TRAVELS TO THE GUIDESTONES

Ever hear of the Elbert County Guidestones? Most people haven't, but they've been around since 1980.

Last week, my guy and I picked up a friend in Elberton and went to see them. It was a weekday afternoon, but several cars were there. I guess they're more popular than I expected.

Anyway, they're big slabs of granite set up in the corner of a pasture. The big thing is no one knows who set them up. A Mr. R.C. Christian came to one of the granite men in Elberton (Elberton, in case you didn't know, calls itself the granite center of the world because of all the granite quarries there) and commissioned the project. They're inscribed in Hindu, Spanish, Chinese, Greek, Russian, English, and a couple more languages I can't recall. The writing exhorts us to go green and watch our population--maybe not in those exact words--and do several more sensible things. Not that it'll make a difference, but hey! Someone's got to tell us what to do!

Here's what they look like.





Oh, and on the way to Elberton, we pass through the cutest little town. It always reminds me of one of those places in old cowboy movies where the horses get tied to the hitching posts in front of the stores. This is Carlton, GA.



14 comments:

  1. Hey! I've been there - and featured them in one of my books :P They're were really fascinating and creepy! Very cool! Nice to someone else who's seen them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really! Evidently more people have heard of them than I expected!

      Delete
  2. Very cool! Kinda like a mini-stone henge, only in modern times.

    Btw, thanks for the lovely comment you left on my blog a week ago. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I think Stonehenge must have given whoever commissioned them the idea! And you're certainly welcome!

      Delete
  3. Such an idealist (and with a lot of money obviously.) Now if somebody would just pay attention! I did not know these stones existed. Did you see any school buses touring them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No school buses when we were there. Just ordinary people with cameras!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. They are, aren't they? What kind of imagination can come up with these things?

      Delete
    2. The travel to guide stones s been described very well by you. Thanks for sharing information

      Delete
    3. Thanks for looking at my pix! It was a fun excursion!

      Delete
  5. I pretty admire the effort of the people on adding good information for the discussion. I found your website perfect for my needs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very informative and impressive post you have written, this is quite interesting and i have went through it completely, an upgraded information is shared, keep sharing such valuable information

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!