Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Who is John Galt?

Anybody remember the old Ayn Rand novel, ATLAS SHRUGGED? All the billboards springing up, asking "Who is John Galt?"

I still see them occasionally. Saw two in the past few days, one as we headed south to Jacksonville, and one heading north on the way home.

Seems every few years somebody reads the book and goes gaga with her theories.

After mulling the story over for several years, it occurred to me that, sure, people deserve to assert their individualism but that doesn't mean society has to accept them. People have to eat but they don't have to spend their resources on paintings or literature or plays or whatever. If it comes down to bread and art, I know which one I'd choose. Seems to me that's a big fallacy in Rand's thinking, but maybe I'm wrong?

I'm not known for being the sharpest pencil in the holder!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!