Tuesday, July 6, 2010

THE OTHER SIDE OF THE DOOR

I just read this book by a couple writing as Nicci French, and I will read more. This one held my interest, from the opening moment when the Main Character looks around the room where her lover lies dead. You're not sure who her lover was right away but, as the story unfolds, there are several possibilities laid out in the backstory.

The way the backstory comes out is the main thing I didn't like. There's a current storyline called After (the death), then in different type a Before storyline, where what happened before the death is told. The After and Before shifts occur throughout the story, sometimes just a page or two and sometimes more. I found it hard to skip back and forth but others may not have that problem.

As I said, it was a good read, where new info kept developing throughout the story. Oh, and I did suspect what happened from the beginning which usually I don't do. I like mysteries but I'm usually clueless as to whodunnit or whathappened.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm. Very post-modern, jumping around in time. . . Kind of like "Pulp Fiction?" I'd rather have stream of consciousness!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!