Monday, July 26, 2010

A GOOD YEAR

I just read this book by Peter Mayle. I've never read him before but when I realized the movie was made from this book, I got it. Despite Russell Crowe starring, I liked the movie enormously.

Usually I like books more than the movies (with one exception being FIREFOX by Craig Thomas. Clint Eastwood starred in the movie, and it was much better than the book.) With A GOOD YEAR, it was hard to decide which I enjoyed more. The book was a pleasant read, but the story was very different from the movie's plot, so much so that I hardly recognized it. However, it did help me understand some of the subtleties I missed watching it on screen. Lavender essence, for example, and the housekeeper's dancing that I didn't quite get. The movie also had things like scenery that the printed word can't really do justice to.

So movie or book? It was a toss-up. I got some more Peter Mayle books to read. I hope they're as enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!