Wednesday, April 11, 2012

THE ALLIGATOR FARM

My guy is a photographer so we visit The Alligator Farm in St. Augustine FL frequently during their rookery season of April, May and June. Yesterday we went down for the first time this year. The birds were already there. Some were so close you could reach out and touch them.

  This first picture shows one of the trees with its birds.



This is an egret displaying. For those of you who, like me, are non-birders, I believe it means he's puffing up his feathers, trying to make himself as attractive as possible to the opposite sex so he can nab a mate. Good luck with that, fellow!



And here's a favorite. I've never seen such vivid colors on a roseate spoonbill. A couple of them were nesting in a tree about ten feet from us. Beautiful!



We couldn't leave without a picture of alligators. These are American albinos. They looked like statues when I first went by, then one finally moved and stepped on the other's snout. Thought I was gonna see a battle but they both went back to sleep.



We'll be going back in a few weeks. My guy likes to catch the birds nesting, then see the little babies pop out of the nests, then follow them as teenagers. He'll be busy till probably the first part of June.



4 comments:

  1. I think I was there as a child. I was five or six, and we went to Florida. I know one of the places we visited was St. Augustine, and this locale feels familiar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably so. It's been around a long time. It originally just had alligators, but the birds found nesting over them a safe place from other predators and came voluntarily. Now photographers from all over the world come for their spring mating season. It's really a sight!

      Delete
  2. My word! Those albino alligators are kind of creepy! I've never seen an albino one before. Just plain, regular alligators, and they NEVER move whenever the kids and I are at the zoo. Stinkin' alligators! Heh. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are creepy. And I hate alligators!

      If I remember correctly, the first albinos were found in Louisiana and are still bred there. When they're still, they look like they're made out of chalk!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!