Wednesday, November 10, 2010

WICKED BECOMES YOU

Okay, I struggled and finished two humongous books the last month, with lots of convoluted and wordy sentences and not much on plots or characters I wanted to root for. It was time for a light, fun read.

WICKED BECOMES YOU by Meredith Duran was given me by my crit partner (thank you, Nan!) with a shrug. "It's a historical. It wasn't that bad. In fact, it was pretty good except for the sex."

I like sex okay, assuming it's M/F type sex, so I started reading.

The story got my attention right off the bat and pretty much kept it. The plot wasn't much but I really liked the heroine, a merchant's daughter groomed to fit into the Ton of Victorian England. She tries to marry into a higher class but is jilted. Twice. The last time after walking up the aisle.

So she decides to heck with it all. She's tired of being told what to do, what to say, what to think. And especially knitting sweaters and embroidering so as to fit in with the society she's trying to become a part of. She won't do it any more.

The book focuses on Gwen's attempts to be shunned by the people she formerly tried to join. Of course there's a hero with his own angst. Not too much. Just enough to be a willing companion in Gwen's debauchery. And oh, I forgot to say he's a member by birth of that clique she's determined to scandalize.

So it all ends happily. Not too terribly much plot but, hey, it's not great literary fiction or a clever mystery. It's a romance.

Thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!