Friday, October 30, 2015

FAIR

I know I promised pix of classic cars this week, but the fair happens to be in town. County and regional fairs are always nostalgic for me. I remember the ferris wheel and exciting rides like the Hammer or Tilt-a-Whirl as well as the booths testing throwing skills or shooting skills or whatever. It was at a fair I lost all my ride money in an inexplicable urge to pitch a ring over a dish. That's when I learned I was no gambler!

Anyway, my guy went to the fairgrounds with his group of photographers and ended up with some great shots.

This is the entrance:


This is the midway. A little blurred and he didn't want me to use it but I wanted to show the crowd:


This photo, taken at dusk, is one of the two ferris wheels:



This is the ferris wheel after dark:


This is one of those rides where people sit in swings and then the thing starts going around until everyone is swung out with their feet hanging out in space:


 And this is the second ferris wheel:


Ah, so much fun to recall being a youngster and eating hot dogs, funnel cakes, and cotton candy! Pitching darts at balloons and winning trinkets! Rushing from ride to ride! Getting sick behind the merry-go-round...

Well, maybe not the last.

8 comments:

  1. I love these fairs. I haven't been to one in a long time, but I have a lot of fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reminded of the fall fairs in the two towns near where I grew up. It's been a long, long while since I've been to one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous photos !
    Each one of the Ferris Wheels could be printed up and given as gifts. The second from the bottom could be used as a Christmas card.
    These photos make me so happy !

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My guy will be flattered! He is really a good photographer!

      Delete
  4. The little town next to our "big" one used to have a fair every year---not so fancy but exciting anyway. We called it the Sunnymead International World's Fair. I always wanted to go see the lady with two heads, etc, but was too embarrassed. Even at my young age I questioned whether I'd live through the machinery. Was I a daredevil or what? Your pictures are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't allowed in those kind of booths!

      Pix are courtesy of my guy. He's a great photographer!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!