Monday, June 13, 2011

SOCIAL BLUNDERS by Tim Sandlin

Just finished this book after reading SKIPPED PARTS This continues the story of Sam Callahan, the poor guy who became a father weeks short of his fourteenth birthday and who kind of bumbles through life. In 1984, he lives with his daughter, now nineteen, and his second wife has just left him. He's still in love with his daughter's mother but she's long since moved on. Except they're still friends. With Sam footing bills for her collection of misfits and ...

Never mind. Sam foots the bills for lots of people. His mother who sent poison to President Reagon's dog, a couple of unwed mothers he barely knows, and others. You get the picture.

This time, he's seeking out his birth father, one of five football players who raped his mother.

Between tearing up their lives and getting caught up in his daughter's mother's life and always doing the wrong thing -- like having sex with his possible stepmother while courting a possible cousin.

Sam was kind of cute in SKIPPED PARTS, but in this one, I want to shake him. Get a life! I want to scream.

Still, the quirky characters kind of make up for the inanity. It kept me interested all the way to the end.

2 comments:

  1. Hey there partner. I hope to have a review from you once my book is released. My steampunk tale survived so many of my mistakes thanks to your patient efforts. I've been so busy of late. If you've got any pointers for marketing a book, I'm all ears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just let me know when it's out and I'll read it!

    As for marketing...

    There's a lot of advice out there but I don't know what works and what doesn't. I'd say write a good book, talk to everyone you can about it, make sure all your contacts know when it comes out, and keep your fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!