Thursday, May 27, 2010

Reading Books

I used to read every word of every book I started. If I wasn't enjoying it, I still struggled on to the bitter end.

Then, a couple of years ago, it dawned on me I was wasting time reading books I didn't want to read when I could be spending time reading books I did want to read or doing other stuff I wanted to do.

So now, if I get a third of the way through a book and it still doesn't resonate with me, I put it aside and look for another.

I must add, I'm a reader for pleasure. Don't give me depressing fiction as so much literary fiction seems to be. Give me a story. Give me a plot. Throw in a mystery. Throw in a romance. And if you can get humor in there, too -- real humor and not the sophomoric kind of stuff that passes for humor -- I'm hooked no matter the genre.

Wonder how much time I've wasted in my life plowing through books I couldn't bring myself to put down because of the attitude: Gosh darn it! I started it and I'll finish it if it kills me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!