Saturday, February 27, 2016

RADIO STATION BLUES

When we first came down here in 2004, I discovered an oldies radio station that I loved. WWEZ, "The Island's Easy" radio station.

They played old music. Really old music. Not just sixties and later. No, they played music popular in the forties through the eighties. (And later, the nineties.) Occasionally, they threw in some classical and jazz and Broadway, but mostly it was old favorites. Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy, Crying in the Chapel, To Know Him is to Love HimRum and Coca Cola, Chariots of Fire, Tennessee Waltz, Old Cape Cod...

They also had the usual filler stuff:  a few minutes of national news, the local weather, local shows like The Sports Chicks, and pet adoption shows like Christie's Critters. They also aired things of interest to the AARP generation regarding finances, technology, et cetera. But their main draw was the music.

Alas, they are kaput.

They began in 2002, and chose to remain a non-profit operation, relying on public contributions. That meant no advertising. Although local businesses could give a certain amount of money and receive in return an acknowledgement on the air, that wasn't enough to keep the station afloat. Due to financial problems, they went off the air. Yesterday was their last day.

This was where they used to broadcast from but now it looks abandoned and forlorn.


Goodbye, old friend! You had a good run and gave me many hours of enjoyment.

I am so sad. It's like finding a bra that fits but when you go back to buy another one, they don't make it any more. I want to cry!


6 comments:

  1. I like oldies music, but nothing older than the '50s....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess all the old movies I watched growing up made me enjoy the thirties and forties, too! In fact, I like just about every generation of pop music along with most other genres!

      Delete
  2. I haven't listened to the radio in years. The endless chatter grated on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I loved this station. A two minute break for headline news and weather, then songs! Except on weekends when they had their educational and public service shows.

      Delete
  3. I understand how you feel. Raido used to be great now it is awful. I remember a L.A. channel that played out the old mysteries, cowboys, Burns and Allen just great shows.
    Now it is just people yelling at each other or really awful music about slapping your bi**h around. When I was in Canada they had a CBC that had all sorts of wonderful programs on it.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think some nights this one had some old serials on it! I listen to public radio sometimes but it's mostly classical. Which I like, too,...but not days and days of it!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!