Saturday, July 25, 2015

GONE GIRL CAT

Our sweet boy-cat left us this spring. Now our feisty girl-cat is gone, too. We are still a little shocked at how quickly we lost them. He was nearing twenty -- we don't know his age for sure -- and she was just seventeen.

We'd had the boy a few months when a relative called. A papa cat, mama cat, and four kittens had turned up on his doorstep. The papa delivered his family and left. The relative took the mama cat and a neighbor took the kittens. Two of them found homes. Would we take one of the two that were left?

We went to look at them. The neighbor already had five or six adult cats -- she was brave to take on the four kittens! -- and they were all in the living room, looking on with bemusement as one of the kittens ran around playing with a toy. If another cat tried to take it away, she grabbed it back. And they let her. That little black and white ball of fur was clearly the boss. She cowed them all, including her brother.

My guy pointed to her. "That one. She's got personality."

And that she did. When we got her home, she assumed the role of queen of the house and never relinquished it. Our darling boy-cat wasn't sure what to make of her but was too much of a gentleman to object. He let her do as she pleased except when it came to food. He had been a street cat, and he took umbrage at anyone interfering with his meals.

So for all but a couple of months of her seventeen years, she lived with us and her adopted brother. When he left us, she must have been bewildered. I don't think she remembered life without him. She went downhill, had to be put on steroids. That helped, bringing back her appetite and giving her some energy. I thought the worst was past.

Then last week, she threw up, curled up into a ball, and refused to eat. Even her favorite tuna juice got nothing more than a desultory sniff. She started hiding under the computer table or in the closet without moving for hours, and I knew it was time.

I do think she was pining for her brother.

Now the house is quiet and we have no need to watch for a warm furball or make room for a little form to lie beside my guy while we watch TV. We are thankful for all the good years we enjoyed them, but oh, we are missing both of them dreadfully!

The queen:



Our gentleman:


10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Girl. So sorry you lost your babies. I didn't know you'd had those critters for so long, or that they can even live that long.
      Are you going to find some new ones?
      The writer's group I found in Dahlonega already fell apart after one meeting, albeit a horrible location. Wish you were here. I just started the next book--running behind as usual. If you want to do a computer group, I'll sign on. I finished one of your books last month. Maybe I'll be able to re-read it and make a review now that Strutter finally got published--it was ugly. But the book is pretty good.

      Delete
    2. We'll probably get another pet but not right away. I want to grieve a little first.

      Too bad about the writers group. A couple of critique partners might work better. Sorry you had a time with Strutter. I've not read it yet but will!

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry to read this. Even if you know what is coming it doesn't help. When our little loves leave us it is like our hearts are breaking.
    I wish I could give you a hug.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is heartbreaking. They're part of the family. Thank you, Parsnip!

      Delete
  3. Cheryl, I'm so sorry to read this. I know how it feels--only too well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Norma. I know you've gone through this, too.

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry for your double loss and so happy that you made a wonderful home for two souls in need. Making it to 19 and 17 is huge. Wishing you many happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra. but we didn't make a wonderful home for them; they made a wonderful home for us!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!