Friday, July 22, 2011

DISAPPOINTING BOOKS

I bought a book by an author I used to really enjoy. The last couple of hers that I read were kind of disappointing, but this copy was on sale and I thought I'd try it.

I won't say who it is because she's a best-selling novelist who I'm sure is a very nice person.

I will say this book was as disappointing as the last two. The writing was verbose, the story was nil, and the characters were boring. I can't help but feel that if there had been an editor who wasn't overworked and/or overawed, s/he could have coaxed a much better novel out of the author.

I finished it but it was hard.

2 comments:

  1. I think that happens more often than not. I read somewhere that publishing houses are paying less attention to editorial work in an effort to save $$ and time. Don't know if that's the whole truth, but I've certainly noticed the abundance of typos in published works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had that happen to me a couple of times. I can read some of the same author and then all of a sudden they write something that doesn't mesh with me. It doesn't mean I won't read anything else that they wrote, but I will probably be leery about it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!