Saturday, July 1, 2017

RALLY FOR HEALTHCARE

As many of you know, the last election was upsetting to me. I had so many friends and relatives who were vehemently for Trump, I halfway expected the conman/charlatan to win but I still hoped. Afterward I was proud to be one of the millions who marched for women's rights, making an uncomfortable but unforgettable trip to DC with other like-minded women and men. Back home, I joined some resistance groups.

When we moved, I was fortunate to find an INDIVISIBLE chapter in our new town. This past week, we joined with two other groups to protest against the unconscionable healthcare bill -- WEALTHcare bill, as some of our number call it in reference to the big tax cut it gives the wealthiest one percent and insurance/medical corporations -- that McConnell is pushing in the Senate.

We met in front of the University Arches and for an hour held our signs and listened to some firsthand accounts of people who will be hurt by the bill. Several of them were there for their children. It's heartbreaking to realize these kids, through no fault of their own, will be the real people to suffer.

So here are a few pix from the rally, courtesy of my guy: And yes, it was quite peaceful because liberals generally abhor violence. Heck, I don't even like to get into arguments.

This one was in the beginning when we were gathering (I'm hiding behind my sign, as usual):


This was taken after our INDIVISIBLE banner got there:


And here is a wider view:


And one last shot as we aimed our signs at downtown traffic. This one was taken just before a nice policeman instructed us to leave a pathway for pedestrians walking on the sidewalk and through the arches. Being law-abiding citizens, we of course obliged.


Many people don't realize it, but nearly half the babies born are paid for with Medicaid. (We had pro-life people protesting with us, because a baby legally declared a person at conception means our responsibility to it is just beginning.) Besides childbirth, about sixty per cent of people in nursing homes are covered by Medicaid, many of them who've exhausted their savings.

No matter what Republicans say (they are blatantly lying in order to sell their healthcare plan), people are going to be hurt if it passes.

By the way, I'm not a Democrat. I'm a proud Independent who has voted for Republicans in the past. I used to believe a man's character was more important than his party but now I'm having to rethink my views.


1 comment:

  1. I firmly believe he will end up proving to be the source of his own undoing, and when his die hard supporters finally realize how badly they have been suckered by him, that's when it'll get really ugly.

    There are some Republicans with a spine. Others are too scared of his supporters to really speak up. But the fact that they even let him run in the first place damns the party as a whole. It was once the party of Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, and Eisenhower. They would be disgusted by what has become of it.

    Have a very good Fourth of July!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!