Saturday, February 18, 2017

LIVE BY NIGHT REVIEW

If you've read my blog before, you might remember the excitement when Ben Affleck chose our area for his movie LIVE BY NIGHT. We were overjoyed that a real, live movie star would be in our little town filming. My guy and I finally got to see it some weeks back, just before it left the theaters.

I am sad to say it was not good. Not that it was bad. It just wasn't good.

The story seemed fragmented and was hard to follow. I'd read the book by Dennis Lehane--which was engrossing--some years back, but I still had trouble following the movie. Basically, it was about a Boston gangster. He falls in love with his crime boss's daughter, gets beat up, is forced to flee to Florida, builds up his boss's crime empire there... Throw in the Ku Klux Klan, the sheriff's daughter, the black brother-sister Cubans who run the rum trade and...

Oh, my! It's so confusing. Too much is going on. It never really sucked me in.

However, I must say the setting is marvelous! Brunswick, Georgia standing in for Ybor City, Florida is absolutely amazing. The scenery, especially on a road twining through the marshes (which may be from our area?), is breathtaking. And I'm sure some of the local actors/actresses did a great job in their bit parts. Our area did indeed put its best foot forward.

So if you get a chance, see it. Just for the background.



6 comments:

  1. There are occasionally movies or television shows filmed here, but I've never seen one myself. The last time I can think of offhand, I saw Jon Cryer across the street doing a scene. Since I think he's a lousy actor, I didn't go out of my way to find the project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't go out of my way to see the actors in Brunswick either, but it was great seeing the street and building do-overs!

      Delete
  2. Tucson used to get lots of film work but not so much any more. Everything goes to Canada now especially TV shows.
    I have seen several movies where the location was much better than the movie.
    The photo is beyond beautiful.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good portrayal of some of our marshes, I think! Georgia has been putting out the red carpet for productions for several years now and it's paying off with several TV shows and movies being filmed here. LIVE BY NIGHT would have gone to FL except they did away with their tax benefit for filmmakers.

      Delete
  3. We've had movies filmed here, too. St. Louis stood in for New York in Escape From New York. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. St. Louis? Stood in for New York? Hmmm. Can't quite imagine that but...Guess these cities have to act as much as the people!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!