Saturday, October 15, 2016

HOME AGAIN

As I told last week, we had to evacuate for Hurricane Matthew. We were extremely fortunate in that he passed about fifty miles offshore from us and that his storm surge happened at low tide. We could have had a disastrous hit and all our belongings would be gone. I can't get over how lucky we were. We came home to debris all over the yard and a tree on the house (a skinny tree with the top resting on our roof so no damage we can see) but nothing worse.

I promised to tell more about our visit to Atlanta that took place just before the hurricane.

One of my guy's pix was chosen to hang in the State Capital's rotunda (along with about thirty other paintings and photographs). He was invited to bring it in person and meet the Governor but at first demurred. Then a relative offered to drive him into Atlanta, and I persuaded him to go.

Here's a shot of the people milling around in the anteroom before the presentation:



And here is my guy's photograph. Jekyll Island Sunset:


So he got to shake hands with the Governor and First Lady, and the photograph will hang in the Capital until April for anyone visiting Atlanta to enjoy. I am quite proud of him!

6 comments:

  1. A beautiful painting!

    A photoblogger I follow from Charleston went to Augusta during the storm. Her place made it through the hurricane okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think North Carolina was the worst state hit. We are still cleaning up here but everyone is very thankful that it wasn't worse.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Norma! It's actually a photograph and I'm very proud of him for having it chosen! I actually had to nag him to enter it.

      Delete
  3. Great news !
    Wonderful ! Is it a photo or a painting ?
    The colors are outstanding.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a photo but it does look like a painting, doesn't it? My guy is pretty modest, though. When it got accepted, he didn't want to go to the Capital for the reception, but I made him go anyway!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!