Sunday, June 21, 2015

LEMON TREE

This spring, we had a Bradford pear tree cut down because it had gotten so big the limbs were splitting off. One just missed the house.

Later, we set out a Meyer lemon tree because I love the fruit. The lemons aren't hard and sharp-tasting like regular lemons. They're less acidic and about the size of an orange. Granny Dale had a bush at her Florida house and we always brought some back when we could.

So we (actually, my guy) picked out one with lots of blossoms and planted it. When the lemons started making, he pinched off some so the others could thrive. The tree's about three feet high and its lemons are getting bigger.

They should be ripe sometime this fall. Then we'll juice them and freeze the juice in ice cube trays, then bag the cubes up so we can take out however many we need. (We learned this from Granny Dale, too.)

I keep thinking of lemon bars and lemon pie and lemon cake--most of which I rarely make but it's nice to dream, right? We'll use the juice for sauces and marinades for sure. Maybe even to make lemonade and add to iced tea!

Can't wait!




5 comments:

  1. I wish we could have fruit trees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping we can have fruit trees! We're not really gardeners!

      Delete
  2. Lemon meringue pie: the best in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first thing I ever learned to make was lemon icebox pie!

      Delete
  3. I must have missed this post when I was sick. Sorry.
    I love Meyer Lemons, just the best.
    But this year I will not have any. Between the wind and some very hungry caterpillars they ate just about everything.
    You are so lucky.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!