Saturday, June 6, 2015

BIRDS WITH THEIR YOUNG

Looking out into our postage-stamp of a back yard:

Our lilies are starting to fade but are still pretty.


And this bird came up to the feeder the other day. I don't know what he is, but he has a splash of red on his wings that you can't see in the picture. We hadn't noticed him before or since. Maybe he was just passing through.


And I could not get a photo of our cardinals. Every time I tried to take one, they spotted me and flew away. A couple have been eating at our bird feeder for some time and lately, they've shown up with a large baby. Well, it can fly so I guess it's technically a fledgling.

What seems strange to me is that the mother and father feed it from the bird feeder. The baby sits on the table or a chair, and a parent comes down from the feeder and puts food into its mouth. A couple of times, the baby has lit on the feeder and seems to be eating, then she goes back to her old habits, waiting to be fed.

This has been going on for several days now. I'm wondering if the baby is a little slow? Seems like she ought to be able to feed herself by now.

But what do I know? Maybe this is what all birds do!

6 comments:

  1. I am sure she or he will figure it out soon we hope !

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone told me that birds often do this, that they feed the children long after they can fly. I just never heard of it...but then I'm not a birdwatcher!

      Delete
  2. I've got to take bird photos. Our birds, even the cardinals, don't run. I was late feeding them the other day (I overslept--inexcusable, I know). When I opened the door, they were all parked on our doormat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Letting you know you were falling down on the job!

      Delete
  3. It's not a red winged blackbird, is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may be! I didn't notice any strips except red, but I don't see that well so that may be what it is!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!