Sunday, March 29, 2015

FORT KING GEORGE LIVING HISTORY


Once again Fort King George had a living history festival last week.  Reenactors came from all over to spend the weekend and play their parts. This was a shot of part of the encampment.


This soldier was on duty. Notice the water bottle that was out of character, but hey, it was a warm day!


This guy was showing off his pistol.


These people were looking at shirts from the seamstress.


This guy belonged to a blackpowder group. Their motto is "Save the Whiskey" he told me, translating the Celtic words on the sign. Kind of scary, if you ask me -- people imbibing around  gunpowder!



 This piper played for some lovely dancers. I noticed he wore a wrist watch so evidently he isn't too sold on authenticity!

Here he is with the dancers preparing to do their Scottish 'lilt' which isn't as rambunctious as the Highland flings and reels, according to their teacher.



And here they are in the dance itself.



Going into the fort itself, we find another bagpiper watched by some soldiers.




Also inside the stockade are these blacksmiths.


 This guy looks like a villain, doesn't he? Made me shiver.



These people are cooking. The guy's actually cutting potatoes. The haggis was already done on the campfire.




This is a close-up of the lady sitting by the out-of-costume box.


And these soldiers were guarding the road as we wandered toward the exit.


There were more things, too. A Guale Indian encampment, a booth of spices and seasonings, a mock battle, cannon firings...

All in all, a tiring but happy day!


6 comments:

  1. This is the sort of thing that I'd love to see for myself! Excellent shots, Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't take credit for the shots; my guy is the photographer. And you'd enjoy it, I'm sure!

      Delete
  2. Looks like fun...from an observer's point of view. Don't think I'd wear any of those costumes on a hot day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The day was perfect! Not too hot, not too cold. Just right for the kind of clothes they wore back then!

      Delete
  3. What a fun day.
    I love when everyone dresses up and puts on a festive like this.
    Plus I did think of William when I read this. And he has commented already !

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always interesting to see what they wore and what they ate back then. And it makes me so thankful we live in modern times, even with all the problems of the world!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!