Friday, January 9, 2015

CATS

I've been a little distraught. My boy cat is old. Like about twenty.

The last couple of years he's been blind and deaf, but he was able to find his food dish and his litter box and his bed. Then he began having some mental problems. Meowing in the middle of the night. Going around in circles. Wanting to eat every couple of hours.

But he was still in pretty good health so we catered to him. Feeding him three or four times a day, putting him in his bed when he meowed, moving him to a familiar place when he got lost.

We were making it fine until the last couple of weeks. Now he's looking tired and withdrawn. And he's making hacking noises that sound like whooping cough. When I pick him up, he's uncomfortable. He's always been a gentleman and would never scratch me, but I think he's beginning to be in some pain.

I can't see him suffer, but it sure is hard to let him go.

Here he's asleep in his little bed. I moved it into my bathroom because he likes it in there. The girl cat usually sleeps with him, but lately she's deserted him. I'm wondering if she knows he's feeling bad and is making it easier for him.


Pets are like children. Easy to love and hard to lose.

5 comments:

  1. I know how that feels. Sam was suffering, but I knew he had to die at home, not terrified in the vet's office, so the vet gave me some meds to ease his pain until it was over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think every pet owner who loves their animals goes through this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At that age, he's lived a long, good life. Just keep him comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this is a very hard time for you.
    Just check with the vet for some meds. When they don't want to be held that is a big sign.
    I nice covered place for them to curl up in helps sometimes.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!