Wednesday, February 6, 2013

SHIPS IN THE NIGHT

I was sound asleep, dreaming of the sequel to my light mystery. (When I'm trying to figure out plots, I often dream of whatever I'm writing.) Right in the middle of the heroine peering over a mountainside to find a makeshift air strip down below, comes this HONK!

Let me tell you, I jumped six inches and woke up pronto! And looked wildly around to see what train was about to run over us.

It was a ship. We're a couple blocks up from the channel and can usually hear them pass. Last night it sounded like it was coming through our bedroom. The boy-cat must have heard it, too, because he came and crawled into bed with us.

Took me a while to get back to my work-in-progress, what with my pounding heart and the boy-cat licking my face to make sure I was all right. Or maybe he wanted me to get up and feed him.

I don't think my guy heard a thing.

4 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of dream influence over my writing and other things. This an interesting event that you recount here.

    Lee
    Please visit my dream blog:
    A Faraway View
    An A to Z Co-host blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They say dreams let your subconscious take over. Guess that's when we figure stuff out.

      Delete
  2. You'd think they wouldn't do that in the night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a tradition. Usually it doesn't bother me, kind of like living next to a train track. But this horn was a real honker!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!