Monday, December 13, 2010

WICKED APPETITE

I liked Janet Evanovich's early Stephanie Plum books. I suspect WICKED APPETITE is supposed to be the start of a new series, similar to Plum's but with paranormal elements. It's set in Salem MA and involves Diesel, a character from Plum, and his supposed to be feared - I think - cousin Wulf. There's also a cat. Oh, and a monkey I believe we've seen before. The heroine is a baker with a friend who thinks she can do magic.

To be honest, I didn't care for the characters - sadly, not even the cat and monkey - and the plot seemed kind of a rehash of Plum with some paranormal aspects. I finished it, so it did keep me interested. But I doubt I'll run out and buy the next one. Of course, that may be because I'm getting tired of the paranormal urban fantasy mystery type stuff. And maybe my taste is evolving. Some of the situations seemed silly rather than funny. There were no laugh out loud moments as I had in the very first Plum book.

Evanovich fans will probably like it. It's not a bad read, just not an excellent one.

1 comment:

  1. Cats and monkeys and cousins named Wulf, oh, my. I concur. Though I haven't read this one, my interest waned after the third or fourth S Plum book. Then again, it's hard to keep every reader happy. I'm sure Evanovich will cry all the way to the bank.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!