Monday, September 20, 2010

LIBRARIES HURTING

Our libraries are hurting.

Our local two are closing one day a month in each location to save funds. They have already cut back on hours for full-time employees and done away with the beloved Bookmobile. Their participation in our state-wide system for borrowing books from any library member is also threatened.

If this were a more prosperous period, it wouldn't matter so much. But with the economy the way it is, a lot of people can't afford to buy books and are using libraries more frequently. They're also using the library computers to check on job listings and other things because they can't afford a home computer and/or internet service.

I guess I'm just whining, but it still seems to me that this is the very time libraries need to be supported, when people are out of work and worrying about reduced salaries. All I can do is support the library league and help raise money to keep them open.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, libraries ARE hurting. My daughter (high schooler) volunteers 4 hrs/week at our local library to help keep it going on a budget. We also donate LOTS of books (which they then have book sales) to help them earn money. It's sad.

    I'm new here. It's nice to meet you. :) I'm a fellow writer.

    ~Lola

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!