Saturday, May 20, 2017

THE BOTTLEWORKS

Met a friend for lunch this past week at the Bottleworks, a mixed use community of several buildings in Athens. Here's a map:



Dating from about 1900, the site once included a bakery and livery stable. In 1928, the Athens Coca Cola Bottling Company was built. That was sold in 1985 and the buildings were abandoned. Rehabilitation began and sputtered in 2008 when the economy collapsed, but in 2012 the project was sold and brought back to life Now the compound includes condos, offices, shops, and restaurants.

We ate in one featuring Argentine food:


I meant to take a picture of my spinach and mushroom empanada but when it came, I, unfortunately, out of habit, began to eat. So you'll have to take my word that it looked good. And tasted better!

We ate inside because it was hot and the pollen has been bothering my head, but diners outside didn't seem to mind:



Can't wait to go back!

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's delightful! Can't wait to go back to the Greek restaurant!

      Delete
  2. Count me in !
    I love when beautiful old buildings are re-used and put back into use.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, too! And there's a group here that seem dedicated to doing just that.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!