Saturday, July 9, 2016

CORNEA TRANSPLANT

I've had eye problems for a long time and earlier this year, I had to have a cornea transplant. If you look closely in the photo below, you can see the light flashing off some of the stitches on the right. Dr. Hays used a row of sixteen stitches around the outside, then four tack stitches on the inside. Every eye doctor who's seen it admires his work!



The cornea takes awhile to adjust to its new eye, but this one has done quite well. Now Dr. Van de Vere (my doctor down here who's been supervising my recovery) says it's time to consider taking the stitches out.

I am quite excited. Maybe once the eye gets settled down, I can get my glasses prescription and finally be able to see (well) again.

Until this happened, I'd never thought about cornea donations -- that was something for other folks. But since I had one, I have a new appreciation for those people who choose to leave their corneas to the eye bank, and to the relatives who allow their loved ones' corneas to be donated. Without someone's generosity, I would be blind in this eye by now. And my other eye is getting to be almost as bad.

Unlike a heart or kidney, the cornea is mostly collagen tissue. There is a chance of rejection but it's far less than for other organs. I hope when at some point, you're asked if you want to donate your or your loved one's, cornea, you at least think about it. I know I will be grateful the rest of my life to my anonymous donor.

6 comments:

  1. Strange to see stitches in the eye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm more than willing to be an organ donor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone will certainly bless you, too!

      Delete
  3. I am so in tears right now of happiness. I had to have my lens sewed back on ( laser) as it was pulling apart. I was so happy he fixed it so I can understand a very small amount of your happiness.
    Hope all the stiiches come out just fine.

    cheers, parsnip and thehamish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How awful! I'm so glad your lens could be fixed. And I am delighted I won't be blind in that eye as one of my aunts ended up!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!