Sunday, May 19, 2013

FERAL CATS

Turns out the reason the squirrel population isn't so much in this neighborhood is the feral cats. They're gorgeous, all of them, but still wild. I think one we saw prowling through our back (fenced-in) and tiny yard before we made the move was feral.

Seems like there wouldn't be as many birds, but guess they're more observant than the squirrels. I was following my guy out of the neighborhood yesterday morning, he off to his art class and me off to hit yard sales. He braked in front of me and waited. I thought he'd forgotten to tell me something and would get out, but no. He kept sitting there in his car. Then I saw a sleek black cat crouched just to the side as if stalking something. In a moment the cat darted across the street and my guy went on.

I started to go, too, but noticed the cat slinking behind a tree, still stalking. Just as I rounded the tree - one of the huge water oaks we have here - the cat pounced on a squirrel who'd been sitting on the ground. The squirrel tried desperately to get away, leaping in the air and thrashing around, but the cat clung to him determinedly. I was in shock, the car advancing automatically so I never saw what happened. But I'm pretty sure the squirrel got gone.

Awful to witness a murder first thing in the morning. And yes, I know the cat was hungry and this is nature and all that. But still...Right before my eyes?

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I know. But did I have to witness it???

      Delete
  2. Hi! I understand this is somewhat off-topic but I needed to ask.
    Does building a well-established blog like yours take a massive amount work?
    I'm brand new to operating a blog but I do write in my journal on a daily basis. I'd like to start a
    blog so I can easily share my own experience and views online.
    Please let me know if you have any suggestions or tips for new aspiring blog owners.
    Thankyou!

    Visit my page ... Cheap Oakley Sunglasses

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! That would have scared me. Your line: Awful to witness a murder first thing in the morning = made me laugh! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't to the point of being gory when I saw it but imagination takes over and...

      Delete
  4. Cheryl: We don't have squirrels or cats. I'm thinking they've all become citified and can't find us out here.

    Actually we went to the island of Crete once. Cats were everywhere...and the odd thing was they all looked identical. Of course you can almost throw a rock across Crete, and it IS an island with no road across to Greece. So I suppose inbreeding was at issue. They were good looking clones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All our cats are different. There's a beautiful beige one, a black and white one like my girl cat, a tabby, a calico...The one that got the bird was black. They seem to hang out all over the neighborhood.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!