Saturday, September 26, 2015

EYES

We drove two hours to get to my eye doctor last week. Scarring on my cornea is making my vision worse so I'm getting special contact lenses in hopes of avoiding a cornea transplant.

I'd been for a preliminary fitting about a month ago; seems these lenses have to be fitted to the eyeball before they add the prescription. The first technician tried to insert them a few times with no success. So she called in a second technician who after a few tries got one in. The doctor came in, looked at it, said I needed another size. So again, I got poked in the eye a few times before both lenses were in and approved. After that, I had to wait while the lenses were sent off to get the prescription added.

So this last visit was to make sure they fit, that the prescription worked, and that I could learn how to insert them myself. Ha ha! When it takes a couple of trained technicians to get them in, I'm just not sure I'll ever learn. Especially since I've never worn contacts.

But the technicians finally got the new lenses put in.

The good news is that I read the eye chart like Superman! I was so excited.

The bad news is that the lenses do not fit correctly. They were touching the cornea in a few spots which is a no-no.

The lenses are going back to the place where they're made--handmade, I might mention. And a new pair will be sent later and I'll go through this again.

So I won't be able to see well for another two to four weeks.

Bummer.

Thank goodness for my Kindle and its big fonts!

6 comments:

  1. Well at least there's an end of the road to that. Poked in the eyes... yike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just found out I can go back in ten days to try the new lenses!

      Delete
  2. My ophthalmologist told me e-readers are perfect for those of us with vision problems. I've had four so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd go crazy without my eReader!

      Delete
  3. Oh Wow, I don't like hearing this.
    I am so sorry to read this.
    I have been thinking of you and your eye problems. And wondering if you were feeling better ?
    thehamish is having some sort of crystal (?) build up that is now breaking through the lens transplants that he had done a few years ago.
    They have mentioned "sanding" which is what I thought you had talked about.
    I really do not like contacts and they are hard to put in. I got use to it.
    Hope this gets resolved and you can see better soon.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Parsnip! Yes, they have sanded, or scraped the scars on my cornea several times. It wasn't fun but it helped until this last time.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!